On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:52 AM, David Dorward wrote:

> On 25 Jan 2011, at 08:34, Steve Green wrote:
>
>> You can use it, but will anyone benefit from it? Assistive technologies
>> don't support much, if any, of the new semantics. I don't know if search
>> engines and other users of programmatic access to websites are currently
>> able to make use of HTML5 markup, but I have not seen anything to indicate
>> that they do. So what exactly is the benefit?
>
> It saves having to rewrite the site when AT, SEs, etc do have significant
> support for them.

How about the new assistive devices such as iPhone and iPad that have become
quite trendy for blind people?
Apple, FWIK, actively promoting HTML5.

As for SEO, I don't have any data to back it up, but based on a few sites I
built on HTML5 using HTML5 elements, the SEO seems very good from google
search. I can publish an article, and within 1 minute it shows up in google
search, in the first result page;  perhaps one of the reason is that my blog
has gained some momentum in terms of SEO, but I do vividly remember it used to
take much longer, even if I do the search with combination of company or domain
name in it for that specific article, it never show up in the first page when
the site was on XHTML.

I suspect Google and Bing must be adding HTML5 into their search algorithm but
they just don't acknowledge it.

tee