From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org]
On Behalf Of tee
Sent: 27 January 2011 00:40
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] HTML5 v. HTML 4.x

On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Steve Green wrote:

        To the best of my knowledge, all screen readers will 'accept'
the new tags insofar as they will read the content between the tags.
They just won't do anything with the tags themselves.

        On 1/25/11 12:34 AM, "Steve Green"
<steve.gr...@testpartners.co.uk
<x-msg://129/steve.gr...@testpartners.co.uk> > wrote:

                You can use it, but will anyone benefit from it?
Assistive technologies don't support much, if any, of the new semantics.
I don't know if search engines and other users of programmatic access to
websites are currently able to make use of HTML5 markup, but I have not
seen anything to indicate that they do. So what exactly is the benefit?

So we don't progress but wait for the screen readers be ready so that we
can all merrily hold hands marching forward?

I am not sure this type of skepticism does any good to accessibility as
a whole-I see it does more harm especially the majority of web community
do not think building accessible site a de facto.

It probably does more damage coming from well-recognized and respectable
accessibility practitioners.

How about advice such as "if the site needs to be compliant with DDA
law, or if the majority users are of assistive devices,
think carefully weight over all the pros and crons before jumping on
HTML5 wagon"?  There! I am listening.

tee