On 21/12/2011 17:14, David Hucklesby wrote:
Excellent points. If your reason for wanting to open a new window or tab
is to be helpful, I suggest telling your visitors about the right-click
option right there on your web page.

Ah, but then do you also need explain about tap-and-hold context menus on touchscreens? Or about keyboard shortcut equivalents, for all browser/OS combinations? And for those who do know, does it not sound patronising? It's a difficult balancing act, and I generally take the - maybe hardline - attitude that it's not our job to educate users about how to use their browsers. As long as our site works for them, we shouldn't require them to learn new commands/ways of working (this reminds me of my many futile attempts to get parents/wife/friends/colleagues to "correctly" use features in software...and then being reminded of http://xkcd.com/763/ )

:)

Patrick H. Lauke