On 21/12/2011 19:44, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
On 12/19/11 6:09 PM, Alex Mironov wrote:

Muchof my research suggests that the recommended practice is to
 > keep people within the same window/tab except in some instances.

Most of the responses to this seem to focus on the evils of opening
a new *window*.

I'm under the impression that Webkit browsers (Chrome, Safari) open
a new *tab* by default, which to me seems fine. It's obvious it's a
different tab, the original page is right "next" to it, etc.

Firefox has an option to set this behavior; anyone know what any of
the IEs do? (Heh, I don't even know which IE versions support tabs.)

Regardless -- for the vocal objectors, do the same objections apply
to opening a new tab?

My main objection is: let the user decide. If they never knew they could do it, then that's their expected behaviour - that once they activate a link, they're taken to another place. Most of them know about the back button functionality. And if they DO know about opening links in new windows/tabs, and maybe even have their browser configured especially, then they're power users and again let them decide.

Nonetheless, make it clear if a link is going to a completely separate site. Don't make it look like any other link within your current site, if possible. Or change the wording a la "for more information, visit the <a href="http://...";>Blahblah company site</a>." - take away the surprise from it.

Patrick H. Lauke