Hassan Schroeder <has...@webtuitive.com>
> On 12/22/11 4:06 PM, m...@phonecoop.coop wrote:
> > Hassan Schroeder<has...@webtuitive.com>
> >> Regardless -- for the vocal objectors, do the same objections apply
> >> to opening a new tab?
> >
> > Pretty much. That's just a smaller version of the same problem.
> >
> > Think of it this way: when you change channel on the tv, you
> > expect it to change channel, not switch on a second tv to the
> > new channel. That's crazy, isn't it?
>
> Not only crazy, but the Worst Analogy EVAR :-)

Rubbish - I've done far worse before.

> Opening a new tab does nothing like "switch on a second computer".

No - it switches on a second browser viewport, either above or below
the first one.

> And that's aside from the fact that I utterly hate the Flintstone
> technology we call "television" -- single window, no integrated
> on-screen nav -- the dumb terminal of media delivery. Appalling
> that we still have crap like this in the 21st Century.

Your television doesn't have on-screen navigation?  We've had it in
some form since Digital Video Broadcasting started over a decade ago
and now it's the only option in most of the UK.  There are also the
usual media centres but the simple TV display is still king for a
reason.  Some things have multi-window displays but it still only
makes occasional appearances.  Why is this?  I say it's because it
sucks because it doesn't fit the cinema-ish use metaphor.

It sucks on the desktop too.  If you take the actual computer desktop
metaphor, with windows as documents on a desktop, opening new windows
or tabs isn't the common action in that metaphor.  What happens when
you read a page on your desk and turn to another page?  Does the new
page usually appear alongside (like a new window) or beneath it (like
a new tab) - or does it usually replace the page you finished?  It
replaces it, unless you do something special like grab a duplicate.

> Regardless, I suspect that there's a significant difference in the
> user perception of tabs vs. windows, but I'd like to know if anyone
> has done any actual studies.

I'm aware of work on content-box tabs by Yahoo! described on
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/tabs.html
but not of browser-level tabs.  It would be interesting.

Regards,