On 12/23/11 11:12 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

Not only crazy, but the Worst Analogy EVAR :-)

Rubbish - I've done far worse before.

I sit corrected - your powers are te awesum :-)

Opening a new tab does nothing like "switch on a second computer".

No - it switches on a second browser viewport, either above or below
the first one.

? "above or below"? Not sure we're talking about the same thing.
Or at least I wouldn't describe it in those terms.

Your television

Apologies for the diversion; I could go on a long time about that
one, but it's really OT here. Though again, it would be interesting
to know if anyone's done studies on how computers/web browsing has
influenced the perspective of TV users.

Back to the original topic:

It sucks on the desktop too. If you take the actual computer desktop
metaphor, with windows as documents on a desktop, opening new windows
or tabs isn't the common action in that metaphor.  What happens when
you read a page on your desk and turn to another page?  Does the new
page usually appear alongside (like a new window) or beneath it (like
a new tab) - or does it usually replace the page you finished?  It
replaces it, unless you do something special like grab a duplicate.

*OR* it's got a *different relationship* to the original window.

If it's simply a *continuation* of the content, sure, replacing the
original window content makes sense. But if it's e.g. a 'help' link,
or a dialog box, it *does* open a new window.

If the original content is a PDF, clicking an embedded link doesn't
open inside Adobe Reader; it *opens a new window*. If I click on a
link in my Twitter client, ditto. If cousin Connie emails a link to
her favorite LOLCAT of the day, click, boom, new window.

If people are baffled by new windows opening, there must be a lot of
continual head-shaking going on out there...

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- has...@webtuitive.com
webtuitive design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com