On 7/2/20 9:01 PM, Stephen VK3SIR wrote:

Hi Steve, Bill and all,

Bill and Claude (and my SINCEREST apologies for hitting the “d” rather than “s”
and referring to you as you Clause),

No problem, Steve !

The “dialout” group access is needed as a minimum for USB access to device such
as the SCU-17. As you are working primarily with a “tty” group - and for the
purposes of being “generic” across system versions – it is always traditionally
‘safer’ to add “tty” in when using local systems.

This matter is often different, depending on the Linux distribution. Here, I'm using Fedora, it was necessary to become member of the dialout group, but tty and audio were not necessary. The video group is not defined here.

Claude I primarily run the FT-991 (not A model) here – that for all purposes is
identical – and note that all compiles and works fine at this point with Linux
and Windows x64 (but will not promise).

Fine to read this ! Yesterday, I have found that the FT-991 is using the newCAT technology. Therefore, it's different than the FT-8?7 series.

Best wishes,
Claude (DJ0OT)