Folks,

I can vouch for the usefulness of RRR on FT8 in certain situations, such as
running QRP 5 Watts. I often found, as a QRP station, that I needed to run with
RRR as my default TX4 message to ensure the other end heard my reply and
confirm a contact, otherwise they may miss the RR73 and are then unsure if I
ever heard them at all. (QSO lacks 2-way confirmation). This if course reflects
the intent in the manual as well. I, in fact, have just spent 6 weeks on air as
a QRP portable station operating around the UK and often found I had to switch
TX4 to RRR mode to complete QSOs reliably, so I can vouch for this from
firsthand experience.

I agree that the [xxx] [xxx] 73 TX5 message is (or can be) somewhat redundant
and should not be relied upon as a QSO log indicator. If you have seen or sent
RR73 then the QSO should be logged at that point, and not wait for the 73.

However, if there was any improvement, my suggestion would be to amend the
automation so that if you sent someone an RR73 (Tx4), and the next over they
replied with the TX3 message again, that the automation automatically switch
TX4 to RRR mode. Further, at that point, it should keep responding to the TX3
each over until either an over passes where no TX3 is received, a watchdog
timeout occurs, or the sending station finally replies with a TX5. As soon as a
new QSO starts, then revert TX4 back to RR73 mode. This should in my opinion
increase the QSO completion chances under challenging weak signal/channel
congestion circumstances.

Next, as for abandoning TX5 completely, it is useful to send free text,
particularly if you are running a compound call (as I was recently as
M/VK5GR/P). In that case TX5 was used to send strings like “IO70 QRP 73” or
“GFF-0247 73” to inform the station being worked of the extra QSO data that is
lost (like GRID for example) when you are running a compound call. I would
therefore not advocate for removal of TX5. It has its place, although I agree
it is probably being mis-handled by many currently.

Finally, the automation protocol change I outlined above is something I would
like to see added to FT4 as well. The reason is again many times using FT4 I
have replied with RR73 in TX4 to someone and the very next over they still send
me TX3 – to which I will simply not reply without manual intervention. Manual
intervention in FT4 is hard to get the right settings in place to send the
correct answer in time for the next over (e.g. reactivate the TX in the
inter-frame TX gap). It would help potentially reduce the chaos when contesting
with FT4 as well IMHO as there would be less “broken” QSOs (where one end
things the other end hasn’t logged the exchange) while the original station was
happy after sending RR73 and has moved onto the next QSO. It might slow QSO
over rate down, but it might also improve QSO completion reliability. This
probably could be open to some more debate that, but it is something I suggest
should be considered.

Regards,

Grant VK5GR