Hi Josh,

This should be helpful for you (it was for me when first learning how to set this up): http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/xcat/index.php?title=Setting_Up_a_Linux_Hierarchical_Cluster

On 1/8/2014 11:52 AM, Josh Nielsen wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to move my xCAT installation toward a hierarchical structure by including Service Nodes but I am finding a dearth of information on how to create a service node on the xCAT wiki and even the Sumavi xCAT guide. At first I began following the instructions for a setting up a management node (which involves a new xCAT install, an independent xCAT database, etc.) on a VM intended to the the SN but then realized that that must be wrong.

I have noticed the xCAT 'servicenode' database table present on the Management Node (listed with tabdump). I am wondering if I can simply designate a new node (in my case a VM) to be the prospective SN, designate which services (like dhcp, dns, etc.) to enable/disable in the 'servicenode' table, and then do a fresh 'rinstall' to that VM and have it be automatically & fully configured as an SN from postinstall scripts (which I presume are already present and will be automatically applied to that node by some xCAT logic of parsing the 'servicenode' table and associating any relevant postscripts to be run with the node).

If so will it create the /install and /tftpboot directories (including ISOs made with copycds) on each SN identical to the contents of the MN? Is it that simple or is there more involved than that?

In addition I want to be able to take down the Management Node in the future for maintenance and be able to do just about everything that the MN can do from the SNs (including dhcp leases, rpower commands, updatenode, psh, etc) while the MN is down. Is that possible? Any clarifications would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Josh Nielsen