The doc mentioned by Josh will lead you in the correct direction to setup
Service Node.

Several information for you:

   Roughly, your understand is correct that you can install and configure a
   SN automatically when prepare/configure correctly for SNnode definition
   (correct group like service, correct attribute like postscripts, correct
   osimage like rhels6.4-x86_64-install-service) and xCAT rpm repository.

   Generally, the /tftpboot and /install on SN are mounted from xCAT MN, so
   them will be identical with the dirs on MN in any time.

   SN cannot work without MN since there's only one database which is
   running on MN. If MN is down you cannot run lots of commands on SN. In
   fact xCAT does NOT recommend to run any command on SN.

Thanks
Best Regards
 Wang Xiaopeng (王晓朋)
 IBM China System Technology Laboratory
 Tel: 86-10-82453455
 Email: w...@cn.ibm.com
 Address: 28,ZhongGuanCun Software Park,No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road,
Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193