From:   Josh Nielsen <jniel...@hudsonalpha.org>
Date:   01/09/2014 03:13 PM
Subject:        Re: [xcat-user] How to create and deploy an xCAT Service Node

Thank you Xiao Peng Wang, that information is useful. I am thinking
that, in that case, Service Nodes are not what I need after all. Our
cluster is not at a scale yet that requires additional repositories to
pull software updates from (which SNs look like they are designed
for). Rather I need additional management points. I looked a little
further and it looks like Highly Available Management Nodes are what I
need:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/xcat/index.php?title=Highly_Available_Management_Node
.

I do have a question about the Service Nodes though since I've already
begun configuring them:

In the Service Node setup documentation on the wiki, under the heading
"Add OS and Hardware Attributes to Service Nodes" they tell you to do
a chdef with parameters like:

chdef -t group service arch=x86_64 os=centos6.4 nodetype=osi ...

My question is about the "nodetype". I will be deploying to VMs acting
as the SNs, so should the nodetype not rather be "nodetype=vm"? What
does "nodetype=osi" as an "osimage" even mean when applied to a
physical or virtual machine?

When I do an lsdef on the nodes (that will be on VMs) I see:
# lsdef service
    arch=x86_64
    groups=service,ipmi,all
    installnic=mac
    ip=172.20.3.1
    netboot=xnba
    nfsserver=10.X.X.X
    nodetype=osi
Object name: xcat-serv2
    arch=x86_64
    groups=service,ipmi,all
    installnic=mac
    ip=172.20.3.2
    netboot=xnba
    nfsserver=10.X.X.X
    nodetype=osi
    ..

But the VMs are vms and not osimages. I'm just wondering about the
semantics of what "osi/osimage" indicates should be done to a node or
how it will affect deployment.

Thanks,
Josh

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Xiao Peng Wang <w...@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> The doc mentioned by Josh will lead you in the correct direction to setup
> Service Node.
>
> Several information for you:
>
> Roughly, your understand is correct that you can install and configure a
SN
> automatically when prepare/configure correctly for SNnode definition
> (correct group like service, correct attribute like postscripts, correct
> osimage like rhels6.4-x86_64-install-service) and xCAT rpm repository.
>
> Generally, the /tftpboot and /install on SN are mounted from xCAT MN, so
> them will be identical with the dirs on MN in any time.
>
> SN cannot work without MN since there's only one database which is
running
> on MN. If MN is down you cannot run lots of commands on SN. In fact xCAT
> does NOT recommend to run any command on SN.
>

> Thanks
> Best Regards
> Wang Xiaopeng (王晓朋)
> IBM China System Technology Laboratory
> Tel: 86-10-82453455
> Email: w...@cn.ibm.com
> Address: 28,ZhongGuanCun Software Park,No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road,
Haidian

<russell-l...@jonesmail.me>

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/xcat/index.php?title=Setting_Up_a_Linux_Hierarchical_Cluster

> On 1/8/2014 11:52 AM, Josh Nielsen wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to move my xCAT installation toward a hierarchical structure
by
> including Service Nodes but I am finding a dearth of information on how
> create a service node on the xCAT wiki and even the Sumavi xCAT guide. At
> first I began following the instructions for a setting up a management
node
> (which involves a new xCAT install, an independent xCAT database, etc.)
on a
> VM intended to the the SN but then realized that that must be wrong.
>
> I have noticed the xCAT 'servicenode' database table present on the
> Management Node (listed with tabdump). I am wondering if I can simply
> designate a new node (in my case a VM) to be the prospective SN,
designate
> which services (like dhcp, dns, etc.) to enable/disable in the
'servicenode'
> table, and then do a fresh 'rinstall' to that VM and have it be
> automatically & fully configured as an SN from postinstall scripts (which
> presume are already present and will be automatically applied to that
node
> by some xCAT logic of parsing the 'servicenode' table and associating any
> relevant postscripts to be run with the node).
>
> If so will it create the /install and /tftpboot directories (including
ISOs

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=84349831&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________

> xCAT-user mailing list
> xCAT-user@lists.sourceforge.net