If I do use a Service Node instead, even if the Management Node goes down
and the SN loses some functionality because of it, could the SN still serve
the xCAT-set DNS and DCHP leases to all the nodes in the stead of the
Management Node? That really is my minimum/only requirement. I have
diskful, stateful nodes that could perfectly function without xCAT except
that they need the DNS and DCHP services managed on the MN.

It is looking like creating even a secondary Highly Available Management
Node may be difficult since the requirements for a HAMN are: "xCAT HAMN
requires that the operating system version, xCAT version and database
version be identical on the two management nodes." My physical Management
Node uses RHEL and all my VMs run CentOS. Maybe however I can get away with
this, since CentOS is a direct derivative of RHEL that is binary
compatible, IF I can bring them both up to the same kernel version. I'm
going to guess that it is the kernel version (and of course filesystem
hierarchy and binary compatibility) that are really what are needed the
most.

-Josh

<<graycol.gif>>