We had a method that worked for the last 4.5 years up to this point, but today
it stopped working.  The old way had a copy of mgt node's /var/mmfs/gen
embedded in the image.   Adding new nodes was tedious, but doable: ssh to each
node, remove the previous contents of /var/mmfs/gen, mmaddnode the new nodes,
copy the most recent version of the /var/mmfs/gen stuff back into the image and
repack it, finally reboot the nodes.

Everything was going fine up to the last step, where the mmautoload can't get
itself going.

Now I found the xCAT wiki page describing how to put GPFS into diskless images.

I'm thinking the new way is probably better, but hoping to hear from somebody
who has actually done this recently, before I spend a lot more time trying to
debug.

Thanks for any info, caveats,
 -- ddj
Dave Johnson