On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 04:42:27PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> Where do you get ENODEV? On nucleus startup? Please provide
> /proc/timer_list output of the working and non-working setups.

It turns out that I had the Linux NMI watchdog enabled (nmi_watchdog=1
on the command line) and this was causing the -ENODEV problems. Once
removed, I'm able to boot and successfully run all configurations: UP,
UP + APIC, UP + APIC + IO_APIC, SMP. And the latencies are back to normal.

Maybe we should detect that the NMI watchdog is enabled and issue a
warning message, this would save others a few hours and many kernel
builds...

This is with your timer cleanup patch, of course.

> PS: For unknown reasons your mails don't make it to my web.de address,
> only to the list. Do you get any error messages?

I did get one saying:
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: host mx-ha02.web.de[217.72.192.188] refused to
talk to me:
        554 Transaction failed. For explanation visit
        http://freemail.web.de/reject/?ip=88.191.70.230

I didn't investigate yet what's happenning.

--
Stelian Pop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>