On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 18:12 +0200, Stelian Pop wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 04:42:27PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
> > Where do you get ENODEV? On nucleus startup? Please provide
> > /proc/timer_list output of the working and non-working setups.
>
> It turns out that I had the Linux NMI watchdog enabled (nmi_watchdog=1
> on the command line) and this was causing the -ENODEV problems. Once
> removed, I'm able to boot and successfully run all configurations: UP,
> UP + APIC, UP + APIC + IO_APIC, SMP. And the latencies are back to normal.

The clock event layer turns off the APIC timer when the NMI watchdog is
set to use the IO-APIC. Unfortunately, using nmi_watchdog=2 may just not
work at all on broken hardware with recent kernels (like the one I have
just in front of me...).

> Maybe we should detect that the NMI watchdog is enabled and issue a
> warning message, this would save others a few hours and many kernel
> builds...

There is work in progress on the NMI issue, but this message will likely
appear until we've fixed this properly.