On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, David Dawes wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>How do I set that red cursor back to something more normal?
>>
>>I know I've seen that bit of info cross this list, but in searching the 
>>archives I didn't come up with it.  When I tried "red cursor" the search 
>>engine ignored the quotes and gave me everything with red in it (think 
>>redhat) and cursor in it.  That was a lot of hits.  Is there some other way 
>>to specify the search criteria?
>
>I put the following early in my .xsession/.xinitrc file:
>
>XCURSOR_CORE=yes
>export XCURSOR_CORE
>
>I think it can be done with a resource too, but I don't remember
>the details.
>
>Is there any consensus on whether the new (red) cursor theme should be
>the default in 4.3, or the traditional cursor shapes?

Based on user feedback in several of our (Red Hat) beta releases 
over the last few months, the redglass and whiteglass cursor 
themes contain a combination of defects, missing cursors (causing 
whiteglass to use redglass cursors instead sometimes), and human 
interaction useability/accessability issues, my recommendation 
would be to default to the core X cursors for 4.3.0, allowing 
users to choose an alternate cursor theme if they desire.

That gives the element of least surprise to long standing X 
users for the time being until new cursors can be developed and 
contributed that take the human factor into account also.

Just a suggestion.

HTH

-- 
Mike A. Harris


_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to