Daniel Stone writes:
 > On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:03:49AM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
 > > No, [EMAIL PROTECTED] isn't a members only list.
 > > It is for everybody to send in support questions.
 > > We don't require these people to subscribe themselves.
 > >
 > > One could probably think about a 'opt-in' method where
 > > people who are not subscribed have to respond to notification
 > > before their message is sent to the list.
 >
 > Normally I suggest spamassassin, but the only false positives I've seen
 > in the last six months have all been posts to [EMAIL PROTECTED] :\

We do run spamassassin.
Guess what would happen if we didn't.

 > > At least for me this creates the problem that when I resond to an
 > > email on this list (doing a 'respond all') my mailer only uses the
 > > addresses from the Reply-To: and the Cc: fields.
 >
 > Which mailer do you use? Mutt, KMail and Evolution (the former is my
 > primary, the latter my secondary, mail client) all deal with this
 > situation perfectly.

I'm using vm in xemacs.
In your message the Reply-To: field form the original message
appears in Cc:

 > I also hope like hell Mailman isn't munging Reply-To, because that's
 > just *wrong*.

Hm, I don't know what you would call munging, it puts the list address
into the Reply-To.

 > Umm, it's an MUA thing. The list manager is *not* to dictate to the MUA
 > what to do - group reply should send to all of From, To and Cc,
 > excluding yourself. In Mutt, the list of your addresses is maintained by
 > 'set alternates <regexp>'.

I have just checked the replies on the xfree86@ list.
Most of them contain just the [EMAIL PROTECTED] addresses.

 > > If we can agree that we want something like this and on what
 > > we want we can probably find a volunteer who'd hack this for
 > > us.
 >
 > I think you've come up with the wrong solution to the wrong problem,
 > honestly; what mailer do you use?

According to RFC 822 my mailer does the right thing. The Reply-To:
field has precedence over the From: field.

Egbert.