On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:12:35PM -0400, gabe f wrote:
> harmful in that it adds traffic to the list? I learn things by hearing
> replies that
> people might have (inadvertantly) made direct to the author. If the
> reply-to
> field was not "munged" people would have to choose to make the
> threads readable by the list ( like a news group). If they didn't think
> about it,
> or decided for some (shy/considerate) reason to make their responses not
> to the group, then we'd really miss out on a lot of knowledge. my 2
> cents.

They should be pressing the right button in their MUA; Reply-To is a field that
says "if you want to reply to the person who wrote this message, send mail
here". Setting Reply-To list-wise, thus impedes personal replies (hint: not all
traffic belongs on-list).

--
Daniel Stone                                              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.kde.org - http://www.debian.org - http://www.xwin.org