Ah, I read the "and" to mean Avalon/XAML AND other properietary languages, rather than the "and" asssociating all the way back to XUL in the statement:

"Relationship to XUL, Avalon/XAML, and other proprietary UI languages"

But I can see how this is confusing.  I guess Ian reads this mailing list, so I would suggest (hehe, the editor in me):

"Relationship to XUL, a non-proprietary language, and Avalon/XAML and other proprietary UI languages"

If, of course, that is the true intent, which it appears to be, given the section content:

"This specification is independent of the various proprietary UI languages that various vendors provide. "

Ian also wrote that he doesn't know what else to say in this section.  Well, maybe clearly saying "XUL is an open UI language standard as compared to these other ones" might be helpful.  I also like it when a document provides links to the other vendors.  It's more honest and open and saves me time hunting them down when doing research.

I also think something could be said in general about the commonality of XML UI languages.  Yes, this section is supposed to simply say "there is no relationship", but hey, you open the door a crack, let's do it right, right?

Ian, any comments about my editorial remarks?

Marc

Gerald Bauer wrote:
Hello Marc,

Hmmm.  I'm confused.  How is what Ian wrote
suggesting that Mozilla XUL is not an open standard?

Isn't he just saying the the specification
is independent from other (XML) UI languages that
other people are working on?

  Well, Ian writes that Mozilla XUL like Avalon XAML
is a proprietary (XML) UI language. Thus, according to
my understanding of proprietary (that is, controlled
by a single vendor) it can't be an open standard by
definition.

  I guess because nowadays everybody claims everything
is an open standard including for example Windows that
the word has somehow lost its meaning.

  - Gerald

Gerald Bauer

XUL Alliance | http://xul.sourceforge.net
United XAML  | http://xaml.sourceforge.net

Interested in hiring Gerald Bauer? Yes, I'm available.

If you know of an opportunity in Toronto or Vancouver,
please contact me today.