Matthew,

Some good points. It's going to be interesting how this is handled. I
noticed that along side Xeotrope XUI and my Purnama XUI is another XUI
project from JWay. So far I've not received any e-mails from either but
probably because my project isn't very active and hence not much of a
threat to either of these companies.

You're right. At some point it's going to get ugly with some of the
projects/companies having turf wars and fighting over the names.

Peronally I tend to treat the acronyms as technologies but pointing out
specific "brand names" within the technology - much like we all seem to
refer to Coke/Pepsi/Brand X as Coke rather than saying "brown carbonated
sugar drink". By doing this one is able to look at the broader picture.

Having said that, I suspect that if Mozilla was to attempt to hall
anyone into court over the XUL name, they would encounter the same
issues and legal wranglings that Sun had to deal with when they
attempted to trademark JDBC. Trademarking an acronym that stands for a
technology would probably be quite difficult to do in the U.S. or the
E.U. Have you come across any interesting cases in either the U.S. or
E.U. on this issue? I haven't seen anything interesting in this area
lately. Just curious.

Arron