Arron Ferguson wrote:
Some good points. It's going to be interesting how this is handled. I
noticed that along side Xeotrope XUI and my Purnama XUI is another XUI
project from JWay. So far I've not received any e-mails from either but
probably because my project isn't very active and hence not much of a
threat to either of these companies.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. So you probably know what it feels like to be the admin for Dark Nova, then. ;)

You're right. At some point it's going to get ugly with some of the
projects/companies having turf wars and fighting over the names.

I wasn't thinking about that, but yeah, that's bound to happen. The problem is a symptom of the fact that there are way too many different XUILs out there, and the number's only going up. While there's plenty of room for several languages to compete, we've already reached saturation.

Peronally I tend to treat the acronyms as technologies but pointing out
specific "brand names" within the technology - much like we all seem to
refer to Coke/Pepsi/Brand X as Coke rather than saying "brown carbonated
sugar drink". By doing this one is able to look at the broader picture.

Funny, I call brown carbonated sugar drinks "colas". That sorta sums up my philosophy on the subject. If you have to resort to referring to photocopying as "Xeroxing" and microwaving as "Radar Ranging", you're probably missing something important.

Having said that, I suspect that if Mozilla was to attempt to hall
anyone into court over the XUL name, they would encounter the same
issues and legal wranglings that Sun had to deal with when they
attempted to trademark JDBC. Trademarking an acronym that stands for a
technology would probably be quite difficult to do in the U.S. or the
E.U. Have you come across any interesting cases in either the U.S. or
E.U. on this issue? I haven't seen anything interesting in this area
lately. Just curious.

I think you've hit the heart of why the "XUL Alliance" won't change their name: They don't think Mozilla has the stones to take them to court. Actually, Mozilla could theoretically succeed, either in court or via the threat thereof. Adobe trademarked "Illustrator". Microsoft succeeded in forcing Lindows to change its name to Linspire because of their "Windows" trademark. And the XUL Alliance is most likely unable to withstand long-term litigation.

However, the Mozilla Foundation has two problems. The first is that it may make itself look more like Microsoft or SCO in the eyes of the open source community if it drags the XUL Alliance into court. The second is that it has limited financial and legal resources that it may need elsewhere.

For the moment, Gerald is probably safe, but if the Mozilla Foundation gets a sudden influx of funding, or if they decide to raise the profile of their XUL-related technologies, I think you'd see letters from their lawyers getting mailed. Personally, I'm surprised the Alliance hasn't changed it's name for the purpose of being taken more seriously, which is hard to do when you're very name is a blatant trademark violation. In fact, their strongest defense in court is that Mozilla has allowed them to get away with it for this long.

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ xul-talk mailing list xul-talk@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xul-talk