From: Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of myrtleedop
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 12:51 PM
To: Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zappa-List] Re: A suggestion: why not create a separate Vine
sub-list?

I realize I am late and nostalgic... I see all these fantastic "dead"
(=unactive anymore, or little maintained) Zappa pages and former
heydays of web critical discussion and exchanges...

But we gotta think about the young ones that might come and stir
things up again! (Hey, the Dub Room Special DVD is sold here in
Canada at Wal-Mart: a modern day miracle!!)

I don't want to sound like the Inquisition or something here...
But if you created a separate list, no reason at all to keep a tight
isolation between both. No reason that a vine thread be kept from
being posted on the "real" discussion list. Just encourage anyone who
does so to add a discussion dimension to his vine thread. ("I find
the Amougie Zappa/Floyd gig awesome, and here is why...")

--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm... I hear your plea.
> Here's the way I see it (what I like to think is a biased - I love
this group / unbiased - I respect both aspects as mentioned /
historical - been running it for a few years now / experiential - I'm
active in several of these groups - point of view), Barry:
> When I assumed the wheel here, the List was strictly "Zappa
discussion" - there were other eGroups out there that catered to
the "tape trading" crowd. I'd participate on the fringes, as I do
collect FZ music, but stayed out of the action because - well - I
have more FZ than I can listen to. I wanted to have dialog with other
Zappa fans...
> I watched with interest how the other FZ groups out there (esp at
yahoo) sorta petered out after a little while. It seemed to me that
those fans weren't disappearing, just the organized groups... And I
figured that the "vine" concept, while allowing a spot for
the 'displaced' collector, would not interfere that much in the flow
of conversation - which, historically, tends to be "spotty" with
short bursts of activity followed by long stretches of inactivity.
> In other words, I perceived a need to which I thought the List
should cater. One of my concerns was that soon the topic of
conversation would be vines and only vines. I haven't found this to
be the case, tho I agree that the VO's do account for the majority of
the "activity" around here, and they do tend to fly fast and furious,
and they probably do contribute to posts being "lost in the shuffle".
But frankly, segregating the two "camps" - IMO - would simply create
two groups that would not come close to equaling the sum of their
respective parts...
> Honestly, inactivity would occur in both arenas. One only need to
check out the archive history of the other groups out there, to get a
feel for how groups form and eventually die (I will refrain from
citing any examples).
> For me, the answer to your plea is - discuss more. Why can't a
viner respond to a vine post, or even create a new post, with a
personal review of what they've experienced? Why couldn't a vine post
prompt a discussion about a certain rhythm section, or compare eras?
No, I don't think curtailing the vines is the answer to the lop-sided
nature of our message archives; want more discussion? Discuss more.
> Warmest Regards,
> SOFA
Vine sub-list?

>   ---- myrtleedop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrijft:
>   > ...in order to free bandwidth for the actual "discussion"
(which is the
>   > announced purpose of the list).
>   > The vine threads, as exciting as these might be, eat up
incredible
>   > amounts of space it seems to me! And no actual discussion seems
to ever
>   > go anywhere because the threads go down so fast and thus fail
>   > probably be even seen...
>
>   I agree!
>   I joined this list to get the latest FZ news. Everyone should
enjoy their trading etc. but a separate list just for the discussion
of the music would be very welcome.