I think another great way to get better situations and easier solves
is to get used to block solving, like you do with X-cross.  I think it
can be much more efficient than 100% cross/4 pairs.  There are really
good odds for at least 1 pair being matched up to start with, and
inserting a cross edge before the last pair is generally not hard at all.

Also, in keeping with the 'be flexible to get easier solves' theme, I
decided to take some averages with the Roux method, which is
incredibly fast if you like slice moves.  Even without learning the
advanced final step, without any of the easy optimizations for the
hardest cases, and using slower COLL instead of CLL, I managed as low
as a 21.33 average.

I think I may finish off learning my current ZBF2L case and work
strictly on learning the optimizations and the more advanced
recognition step for the final six edges.  If that goes well over the
next few days, I may even learn the rest of the ELL's, just for the
times it comes up with the whole F2L.  I'm trying to think of a way to
apply some sort of technique to finish more than just one step at a
time for the end of solve approach, but I can't seem to find anything
promising.  The best I can think of is to try to find the number of
cases to learn for placing all six U+M edges at once after they're
correctly oriented.

Can someone help me work out the number of possible combinations for
when there are 1x3x4 blocks on the sides, all four U layer corners
correct, and the final 6 edges and centers oriented?  I'd really like
to know, to see if this is a strategy worth pursuing.  Granted, I'm
very tired at the moment, but the number I keep working it out to is
96, which seems quite doable, especially considering the length of the
algs, which I would imagine to be rather short.  All U and M turns, as
well.

-Mike
team [zb]