I think this is the dilemma:  Fridrich, while averaging more moves and
having less potential for speed with full mastery, is much, much
easier to implement.  It is a simple and efficient solution.

ZB averages far fewer moves, but has the nasty side effect of
incredibly difficult recognition.  It is much, much harder to fully
incorporate into solving.

In the end, I think the best possible scenario would be a hybrid of
the two systems.  One that could offer fewer cases (which provides
easier recognition) and has the potential for fewer moves than
standard Fridrich.

Like I've mentioned a few times before, there are four distinct
possibilities for using the last c/e pair to influence your last layer.
Orient edges
Permute edges
Orient corners
Permute corners

Orienting corners has the most cases by a long shot.  I think to learn
how to orient all the corners is 27 possible cases for whichever way
you insert them.  Taking that a step further, learning to orient edges
and corners with the last pair is 432 cases, including reflections,
just using case 1 insertions.  This is only 126 cases more than ZBF2L.
 This reduces the entire last layer to a PLL case.  That makes for
432+21=453 cases for the method, which is just over half of what's
required for ZB, and your PLL cases are all easy to recognize.

Again, though, whichever step you place more burden on, the harder
recognition for that step will be.  The option that I think could be
most promising, though I haven't found a reliable way to do it yet,
would be orienting edges and permuting corners together.  This would
give you a ZB case with no corner permutation for your last step,
significantly easing recognition (not to mention the number of
required algs).  However, it's 112 cases for the c/e pair for
whichever case you want to learn.  I would imagine at least 1 and 13,
making for 224+99 possible LL cases=323 cases.  Much better than 797
for full ZB.

Again, just some thoughts, but I'm fairly convinced full ZB will be
too difficult to recognize under pressure consistently, at least
without years and years of practice.

team [zb]