> Could it be that the usb_disconnect is a symptom of the bug instead of the
> cause? It doesn't happen because of me physically disconnecting the
> device, so it might be caused by the device not responding to lowlevel usb
> traffic.  Which might have been caused by a hang in the chipset. Does this
> reasoning make any sense?

It's a possibility, a couple of days ago I noticed I was still booting my
kernel with the 'noapic' option. When I booted without the 'noapic' option I
saw some oops in my logs. (I haven't got an example but it was related to the
IRQ my USB host controller is on) The system didn't crash but I lost the USB
mouse/keyboard. I think the oops (or several of them) may not exactly occur
the moment you notice any symptoms so I advise to double check your logs.

Also check for other electronic equipment that might interfere. (could be
anything, if I remember correctly, someone once posted he had to switch off
his halogen lamp to avoid interference)