It seems (note the uncertainty) that the instability of the driver is
caused by some or other iming issue... I've set the debugging level to 5
last night and the stick has been working nicely all night (previous time
record was about 30 mins.). Other than my /var/log filling up with about
4Gb of logs, the stick and driver were doing fine. The experiment is
continuing and i wonder if it still works when i get home...

Any thoughts on this observation?

greetz Daniel
p.s. I set my laptop to intermittedly send and receive some data,
saturating the link once in a while, so the link wasn't idle.