On 2/9/07, Daniel Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
> > I think in managed mode the firmware in the stick insists that valid
> > packets are marked up with either the AP or your MAC address, or some
> > similar strict regime.
> >
> > I have also seen in monitor mode nearby transmissions on different
> > channels (!) turning up on another channel intermittently,
>
> This is normal and happens on almost all consumer 802.11 hardware (i.e.
> devices with inexpensive radios). It's related to both physical
> proximity of the monitoring device to the transmitting one, and also due
> to the 'resolution' of the radio and the fact that (e.g.) channel 3 is
> right next to channel 4 in the spectrum and the radio isn't quite good
> enough to distinguish between them 100% of the time.

I'm not seeing bleed through from another channel. Instead I'm seeing
streams of thousands of bogus packets mixed in with the good ones. I'm
receiving the good ones mixed in with the bad ones.

It is like the squelch knob is turned down too low and it is turning
background noise into packets. I see the same behavior on multiple
zd1211 devices so it is not a broken device. The packet data and
headers just look like random numbers. Src and dst MAC address is
different in every packet.

If could be that these noise packets are being received in Managed
mode and the firmware is eliminating them.

My Ralink hardware only picks up a few bad packets in monitor mode.
I'm in a fairly quiet radio environment and can't see beacons from any
other nets on Channel 1. Only beacons I see that I don't control are
on Channel 6. I'm monitoring on Channel 1.

--
Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]