--- On Thu, 19/2/09, Redeye <jonatmm...@msn.com> wrote:

> WELL DONE Hin-Tak!!!
>
> Your gut instinct on the permissions was obviously it,
> however it didn't
> show as i hadn't rebooted.
>
> So Fantastic news, i will alter my first post with the fix
> and also change
> subject to solved.

Oh, so changing the permissions - chmod/chown - works after all?

The issue of how to get the kernel module to re-try loading the firmware is a
bit complicated - I think very recent kernel+zd1211rw driver can retry loading
firmware on activating/deactivating the interface, so "ifdown/ifup wlan0" or
"ifconfig wlan0 down/up" would do it, or physically pulling the USB stick out
and re-insert.

A little older, loading firmware is done at module loading time, so one needs
to unload and reload the kernel module with "modprobe -r/modprobe zd1211rw".
Pulling stick out and re-insert does not trigger the module unload/reload.

Of course reboot does all of unload module/reload module/ifdown/ifup...

I am just wondering what makes you think it is permission change that makes it
work, and why did you think it didn't work initially.