Wa alaikum salam,
1. The chief developer of the application is a Persian speaker, and
zekr is an excellent approximation in most Western languages of the
sound of the *Persian* word ذكر (IPA representation /zekɾ/) which is
descended from the Arabic word much as the English noun rock is
descended from the Vulgar Latin word "rocca," itself probably
descended from an unknown Celtic predecessor.

2. To an English speaker thikr looks like a transliteration of ثكر
(compare the word "thicker") and it is more common to use dh to
represent the sound of ذ (cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic). They differ in
that dhal is one of the letters of jahr and thaa' is one of the
letters of hams. Hence the use of the voiced Roman "d" over the
voiceless "t". In phonetic terms the first is a voiced and the second
a voiceless dental fricative, represented by IPA /ð/ and /θ/
respectively. Of course English has the unfortunate counter-example of
"this" which I guess proves me wrong, but if we have to assign "th" to
either ذ or ث, then I think anyone would chose the latter.

So I think the founder should be free to name the program in his own
language, though if anyone using Zekr to read, say, verse 9 of Sura
al-Jum`uah were to say "zekr" instead of "dhikr" they would definitely
be in the wrong.

Remember me in your duas.