With all due respect, I'm always a little leery every time someone says "throw out your books" because (quite frankly) they usually read that in a book somewhere themselves, found it catchy, and want to share that wisdom with the world.

Throwing out your books may be the best thing to do for you.  Heck, it may be the best thing to do for all of us, but we each need to find that out ourselves.  I think once we realize how futile searching for Truth in books is, we put them down naturally.  But nothing is forced, and if I didn't exhaust my intellect in books, I'd have to do it somewhere else, most likely in meditation or contemplation of the nature of things.  So, what's the difference?

To use your swimming analogy...  Sure, I might go check some books out of the library.  And yes, I'd probably end up going to a teacher for help.  But you can be damn sure I'd be the one moving my legs and arms and doing the swimming.

By the way, I read that swimming analogy in a book somewhere myself.  See, not everything you read in books went to waste. :)

Regards,
Mike

On 8/2/06, Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 dkotschessa wrote:

>Have you thrown away all your books, Bill?

No. I sit on them when I do zazen.

What would you do if you wanted to learn to swim? Would you go down to the
library and checkout a bunch of books on swimming? Or would you locate a
swimming pool with a swimming teacher? Or maybe you'd just jump in the
water and hope for the best.

After a competent teacher has helped you through any fears you have of the
water, helped you relax so you can discover you naturally float, and then
taught you to dog-paddle a little - them maybe you could check out some
books on doing the butterfly and the backstroke.

dkotschessa? Don't we already have a dkotschessa? Guess not...

..Bill!

Scanned by VisNetic MailScan for SMTP Servers.
Visit http://www.deerfield.com/products/visnetic_mailscan.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS