--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, kahtychen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's what I'd do if I wanted to be "a perfect swimmer", or "the
best
> swimmer".
> To be "a good swimmer" I'd just learn it some, practice it some,
enjoy
> it some, and maybe even apply it some.
>
> Regards,
> Kahty

It works for swimming, but you can't be half enlightened. :)

I'm not saying that you have to be obsessive about Buddhism. My own
belief, for whatever it's worth, has always been that when you have a
problem you have to approach it from many different angles.

In Buddhism the problem is Dukkha.  So what do you do?  Be mindful,
sit, read, do retreats if you like.  If you go to a retreat you will
do a lot of bowing, chanting, oryoki, dokusan, etc. etc.  Why all
this activity?  Is it all necessary?  Probably not, but you're trying
to set up the conditions for awakening, and the skillful thing to do
is to use every means at your disposal to set up those conditions.

Think of it as dukkha insurance. :)

-DaveK