--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "mtpathy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> when i sit and look at a blank wall, it is only a blank wall
> that should be seen, but instead i see thoughts and images,
> often times as if they were projected onto the wall by
> a movie projector.
> when i look at clouds in the sky, its clouds that should be seen
> but instead i see fishes and ducks, lawnmowers mowing down dragons.
> i'm starting to learn how to see the wall, and the cloud more and
> my inward projection onto them less.
> is this the correct course of focus.
> learning to differentiate between thoughts in my head and the world
> around me, so that one doesn't project onto the other?

Sure, why not? You're learning about how the mind works within
experience.  The next question then would be, when there is stress of
one kind or another, in what way are thoughts involved?  In what way
are they not involved?  What is the cause of this stress?  In the
Buddhist teachings, the guidelines to work with are to look and see
where craving is involved, where clinging is involved, where notions
of self are involved.

That may not be pure enough "just-sit Zen" for some, but I feel a
rigid, almost dogmatic, stance in that regard is not necessary and may
even be a waste of natural intuition.