To me Zen is just staying with this reality that's right in front of
me, as opposed to spinning off into thoughts about how things should
be. For me it's not about being happy. That's something that for the
most part is out of my control. So if I'm solemn then I should just
be solemn, and not try to be something else. Because I think that any
movement away from reality is the opposite of Zen.

Chris

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Mayka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear  Allen:
>
> It is very good for this group to come out with someone who does
not
> pretend something that is not.  And as for me and the short
poem...Do
> not worry too much.  It was something spontaneous and whatever
> judgement I did not take badly.  It was actually quite good the way
> Bill carried out.  However, I do agree with you that this Soho
> tradition members do take buddhism to seriously.  Most of the
> westerners do. But do not think for a second that that is normal.
> have been a student from Thich Nhat Hanh for various years and I
can
> assure you that we do have a lot of laugh.  I do not know this Soho
> tradition but so far my personal experience in this post an mostly
in
> a different one always from this soho tradition, it has been that
> they have a lot of to catch up from Thich Nhat Hanh students.
>
> No disrespect but that is how it feels so far.
> A bow from
>  Mayka
>
> > Mayka's statements though perceived ungrounded by some, where
real
> > to her and based on her feelings. Which should not just be blown
> off
> > or aplogized for as unfounded. Maybe her expectations were too
> high,
> > or maybe those in the forest can not see the path for the trees.
> >
> > Perhaps balance is still forthcoming in the Tao of this board.
> >
> > This has just been my unenlighten observing opinion of my
> > observations.
> >
> > peace

> > --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Rogers <genesis6_8@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Alright,
> > >
> > >      I attended my first Zen sitting this Sunday in Charlotte,
> NC.
> > I could not keep concentration, my right leg fell completely
> asleep,
> > my arms and back started to give me a fit and my butt ended up
> > killing me. I could not remember when to gasho or how to
effectivly
> > do Kinhin. However, amidst all of that I had a wonderful time.
The