Such a pleasure to read your post.  It flows with sincerity, balance and
energy. *bow*  _/\_

Zen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                                  Allen
 I am pleased to hear your new encounters to the path of Zen have
 been warm and the people receptive and friendly.

 I understand the feelings behind Mayka statement. My granted small
 amount of time reading here, from my limited sight, have seen to be
 honest not a lot of friendliness. A lot of bowing, formality & lofty
 statments about the "correct" term or correct bow or some other
 formality but it IMHO seems, "stiff".
 Bickering over some small use of a word or how a virtual bow is
 persived (sp) seems petty to me. But perhaps that is because I am
 unelightened and there is some great underlying purpose to
 being "right", being "correct"

 Is that the true Tao? I am but a child and do not know.

 Respect is respect, truth is truth, The Tao that is named is not the
 True Tao. My words, my expression of it, is just that mine.
 Many rivers flow to the sea, but it is all water. No mater if it is
 called a creek, stream, river, or brook.

 When I was at one time following the way of being a Born Again
 Christian, everyone was so happy and welcoming. At least so it
 seemed, but once inside they are still doing their people thing,
 politics, discrimations, etc.

 Here on the Zen path, mostly those I have encountered are solemn and
 formal. Seemly more envolved with their own "enlightenment" and the
 rituals of it than being, warm traveling companion spirits,
 classmates on the path. The other end of the spectrum.

 I have been to several Zen Centers, none of them felt, particularly
 warm or inviting. They were not repeling, but not warm either. Few
 smiled, few even knowledged anothers presence. However bowed to an
 empty room, cushion, alter, wall.

 Out of 420 members here only 2 offered a greeting.

 I wrote to a priest who is on the list here and received no answer
 or acknowlgdement. My wife left a note to a visiting Priest, from
 Japan who was lecturing at a center here. She had a couple of
 questions about Zazen she did not understand in English the
 explainations. She received no answer, or acknowlgdement.
 As a Sifu from time to time I receive mails and questions from
 others. Even if I do not have the time to answer the question I at
 least achknowledge them.
 My point here is that many many seem to me, to be so caught up in
 being formal, following some set ritual, their own "enlightenement"
 or the show of it, that some forget, we are people, we all share the
 same life force. To "blowoff" another, disrespect another, is to do
 the same to ourselves.

 Is that the way of enlightenment? I am but a child and do not know.

 Please do not think I am saying everyone is like this I have met.
 I wrote to a Zen Master in Japan who I had never met he took the
 time to reply to me, though he had many responsiblities. This same
 master has also agreed to meet with my wife and I on our upcoming
 visit to Japan, even though it meant him staying after hours at his
 business to wait for us.

 Many are the people we encounter traveling the Tao. We do know not
 the reasons until later. Impressions of those encounters carry on.
 What are the foot prints you are leaving in the Tao?

 Mayka's statements though perceived ungrounded by some, where real
 to her and based on her feelings. Which should not just be blown off
 or aplogized for as unfounded. Maybe her expectations were too high,
 or maybe those in the forest can not see the path for the trees.

 Perhaps balance is still forthcoming in the Tao of this board.

 This has just been my unenlighten observing opinion of my
 observations.

 peace

 --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:

 > Alright,
 >
 >      I attended my first Zen sitting this Sunday in Charlotte, NC.
 I could not keep concentration, my right leg fell completely asleep,
 my arms and back started to give me a fit and my butt ended up
 killing me. I could not remember when to gasho or how to effectivly
 do Kinhin. However, amidst all of that I had a wonderful time. The
 people were great and nice. We had a very lovely dharma talk. And
 what is more: when I was most uncomfortable in my sitting I found
 the strength to continue, even though it was so distracting. I am a
 real quitter, but the atmosphere and the dedication of the people
 kept me going. It has truly strengthened me in my endeavor to
 realize true mind. I look forward to next Sunday's sitting.