Panda-Banana-Sock,

I have also experienced sleep paralysis, but not nearly as often as you
indicate you do.  I only recall a few instances in my life of 62 years.  One
instance was very intense, and was marked by 'seeing' beings in my room, and
even 'hearing' their voices or at least being aware of their communication.
The experience is, as you say, very scary and extremely disquieting.  There
is a good, albeit brief, write up on sleep paralysis on Wikipedia. I’m sure
there is a lot of other information on the Web.

I do not believe this is any kind of 'demon possession' or 'witchcraft'.  I
think things like that are just tags we put on things we don't understand,
but want to.  Sleep paralysis is a real phenomena, and according to what
I've read, not that uncommon.

According to Buddhist philosophy, all phenomena are 'samsara', or illusions.
I don't completely buy into that position, but in truth don't concern myself
with such explanations, or even the need for them.  You experienced sleep
paralysis.  You experienced loss of motor control.  You experienced fear.
That is all there is to that.  As far as I'm concerned further explanations
are not necessary, or even possible.

I think meditation (zazen) is the right approach for this, but I think zazen
is the right approach...for everything.  Zazen is just the right approach.
I don't think you should think of zazen as remedy or solution for this.  You
should not be doing zazen to achieve anything.  There are no goals for
zazen.  You should just do zazen because that's what you do.  Zazen is who
you are.  It is a pure expression of your Buddha Nature.

If sleep paralysis becomes a real obstacle in your life, then I advize you
to seek professional, perhaps medical, help.  I'd say the same about any
other condition.  If you had an infection, like appendicitis, you could say
"That's just samsara.  It's not real.  And it really doesn't matter if I'm
in pain or die anyway, since THIS is all just an illusion."  That's fine for
hard-core Buddhists or ascetics, but I would advise you to do whatever you
could to ease your suffering.  Be gentle with yourself.  That is the way I
practice zen.

Sweet Dreams!  ...Bill!