Anthony,

My remarks/responses are embedded below:

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The koan you quoted, "show me your face before your mother was
born" should read, "show me your face before your mother gave birth
to you." That is more relevant, as there is no direct connection
between 'your mother' and your self.

I quoted the koan correctly: 'before your mother was born'.  Koans
have nothing whatsoever to do with relevance.

> The Chinese meaning of 'satori' is 'awakening' or 'awakened'.
And 'kensho' is 'seeing your nature'. But meanings can changed,
dictated by usage.

Thanks for these translations.  They are compatible with my
understanding of the way they are used in Japanese Zen Buddhism.

> One of the reasons why zen fails to attract ordinary people is that
after satori you just eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are
sleepy etc. That seems boring. In Christianity and Islam, you go to
heaven to enjoy yourselves permanently. What is your explanation?

I know of no zen schools that prosyletise, so attracting people is
not high on their agenda.  The general attitude I've heard concerning
this is that 'people will come when they're ready'.

> The other aspect that is seldom mentioned is whether I can add 'I
have sex when I feel lust' to '... eat... sleep'? Sex is one of the
common activities human beings do. You cannot ignore it.

There are a lot of other aspects you could add.  Sex is certainly one
of them.  I don't ignore it, but I'm not obsessed with it either.
When horny, I have sex, if my partner is willing.  Okay?

...Bill!

> Regards,
> Anthony

your 'Original
> Self', or your Buddha Nature.
>
> ....Bill!
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, Jue Miao Jing Ming -
覺妙精明
> <chan.jmjm@ ..> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you guys for trying. Two more questions:
> >
> > 1. Is satori enlightenment?
> > 2. If you agree that Satori is an irreversible transition. Then
> it
> > could be what we called, "witness the Original Self." I don't
know
> > whether zen has similar term?
> >
> > Thanks, JM
> >
> > Bill Smart wrote:
> > >
> > > Edgar,
> > >
> > > You are right. I corrected this post in a subsequent post. I
> > > wrote 'satori' but meant 'kensho'.
> > >
> > > ...Bill!
> > >
> > > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com <mailto:Zen_ Forum%
> 40yahoogroups. com>,

> as
> > > if
> > > that

> the
> there
> > > temporary
> > > memory
> There
> > > is
> only in

> study - or
> > > roshi
> (private
> > > number
> period
> > > the
> > > that
> of the

> many

> > > <mailto:Zen_ Forum%40yahoogro ups.com>, Jue Miao Jing Ming -
> > > 覺妙精æËÅ"Ž

> after
How
> about
> merit?

> > > sentences and

> before. I
> > > hope
> > > especially

> > > <mailto:Zen_ Forum%40yahoogro ups.com> <mailto:Zen_ Forum%

> to be
> > > more

> > > <mailto:Zen_ Forum%40yahoogro ups.com>
Ming -