Anthony,

Thailand is in a real political mess right now.  There are three centers of
power:  the king, the military and the government.  The government is in
disarray and the military has taken advantage of that in the past.  Things
could get ugly very quickly, especially if the king were to die.  As far as I
can tell he's the only uncorrupt force holding the country together.

I do have compassion towards the suffering I see in Thailand.  What do I do
about it?  I have compassion.  When I draw water from my well (the only one on
the mountain) I share it with my neighbors.  I've built a 20,000 liter
reservoir at the top of my mountain property, built a filtration system and
installed gravity-fed water pipes to all of my neighbors' houses (14 bamboo
'shacks').  I charge them only a nominal fee to discourage them from wasting
water.  Before I did this they had no running water to their houses and drew
muddy water from a large pit dug in the ground.  I built a public toilet with 4
flushing toilets and single shower for women and 4 flushing toilets and a
single shower for men (plus a long urinal).  The toilets are lit at night with
12-volt lights that are driven by two car batteries which are recharged during
the day using solar collectors.  I hire my neighbors to help maintain my house
and property.  When engaging in a new building project on my property or
elsewhere I hire my neighbors.  I hire my neighbors to help plant, cultivate
and harvest my corn or beans or tamarinds or rice, depending on the season.
When the harvest is done and I've sold my crops I have a feast for the
community.  I save a portion of my rice crop, store it in my barn and provide
it to my neighbors at cost, or for free if they have no money.  When someone is
sick I tend to them and provide advice and medication if I feel comfortable
doing so.  If they need to go to a doctor or hospital I give them a ride.  When
one of my neighbors is repairing their roof or digging a dry well I go and
help.  I never give them money for nothing.  When hungry I eat.  When tired I
sleep.

When are you moving to Africa?

...Bill!