Hi Bill,

Great questions.

Take a hammer and whack your toe. I guarantee it will hurt like hell. Causality is proven. QED. Doesn't matter whether you have satori or not.

The point is that the world of forms, of illusion, does obey consistent rules, causality among them. Just because the physical world is illusion in an ultimate sense and merely empty forms doesn't mean that it doesn't operate according to consistent rules. The fact that the hammer hurts both my and your toe means that the rules are shared to some extent, that we have similar, but certainly not identical, cognitive constructs of the physical world. Therefore we can assume that the physical world may in fact exist independent of both of our existences though we can never experience that directly.

Yes, the cognitive constructs of consciousness are what illusion is, just another name for the same thing from a different perspective.

Yes, our concept of causality is a construct of our consciousness, but it is our consciousness' approximation of actual physical laws of the physical universe, at least that is where the consistency of the cognitively constructed world in my mind leads me. When I drop that I just experience without the causal thought net overlay. That is Zen.

Confusing and contradictory certainly and thus the Zen adage that, 'Illusion, when seen as illusion, is reality.'

EDgar

On Oct 12, 2008, at 10:07 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Edgar,

In your post below you stated:
>Causality though does exist and provides the rules which make
>our conscious perspectives and material world view cognitive
>constructs consistent. Thus causality does govern what happens
>in the world of forms.

Why are you so certain that causality does exist and operates according to some kind of rules? What kind of rules could those be? Universal rules?

You stated our concept of the material world, the world of forms, is
observer dependent and 'simply a cognitive construct of our consciousness'. What is the difference between 'cognitive construct of our consciousness'
and illusion?

In either case, if our concept of the material world is a construct of our consciousness, why wouldn't you believe our concept of causality is also only construct of our consciousness; and the supposed rules which in fact are the defining factors of causality (along with the concept of time) are,
if not completely observer dependent, at best species and perhaps even
socially/culturally dependent, and ultimately illusory?

This is closer to what I believe...Bill!