From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: Frustration with Job and Teenage Child
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 15 July, 2010, 9:39 AM

Jody,
I certainly understand why you would be disgusted at what the individual you
described did; and that you would want to take whatever steps necessary to
prevent them from doing that again.  All that still doesn’t mean you can’t have
compassion for them.  I certainly have compassion and feel very sorry for
anyone who is driven to commit such acts.
And perhaps even more so if you think of them as an animal – or less.  I
associate this with the movie JAWS.  Who was the villain in the movie?  The
shark, or the city council who just wanted to protect their pocket books?  The
shark can just be considered a force of nature, like a tree falling over.  If a
tree falls over and hurts or kills someone, no one blames the tree.  If a shark
hurts or kills someone, most people would blame and actively try to kill the
shark – but I don’t think most would think the shark ‘evil’.  If a person,
however, hurts or kills someone, then we think of them as ‘evil’.  I guess
that’s because they are human and we think they should know the difference
between ‘good’ and ‘evil’.  But, as is often in the case of these psychotic
killers, they don’t or maybe even can’t know the difference between ‘good’ and
‘evil’ – like the shark .  How then can we condemn them as ‘evil’, not
 even ‘worthy’ of our compassion?
But again, that doesn’t mean I’d stand by and let it happen, nor wouldn’t
support measures taken to assure this individual does not harm anyone else.
…Bill!