Bill, Take Hitler and Pol Pot for example. In what way can you exterminate them with compassion? One way or the other, they need to be wiped out. The idea of compassion can take a break. Anthony
--- On Thu, 15/7/10, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote: From: [email protected] <[email protected]> Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: Frustration with Job and Teenage Child To: [email protected] Date: Thursday, 15 July, 2010, 9:39 AM Jody, I certainly understand why you would be disgusted at what the individual you described did; and that you would want to take whatever steps necessary to prevent them from doing that again. All that still doesn’t mean you can’t have compassion for them. I certainly have compassion and feel very sorry for anyone who is driven to commit such acts. And perhaps even more so if you think of them as an animal – or less. I associate this with the movie JAWS. Who was the villain in the movie? The shark, or the city council who just wanted to protect their pocket books? The shark can just be considered a force of nature, like a tree falling over. If a tree falls over and hurts or kills someone, no one blames the tree. If a shark hurts or kills someone, most people would blame and actively try to kill the shark – but I don’t think most would think the shark ‘evil’. If a person, however, hurts or kills someone, then we think of them as ‘evil’. I guess that’s because they are human and we think they should know the difference between ‘good’ and ‘evil’. But, as is often in the case of these psychotic killers, they don’t or maybe even can’t know the difference between ‘good’ and ‘evil’ – like the shark . How then can we condemn them as ‘evil’, not even ‘worthy’ of our compassion? But again, that doesn’t mean I’d stand by and let it happen, nor wouldn’t support measures taken to assure this individual does not harm anyone else. …Bill! From: zen_fo...@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:Zen_ fo...@yahoogroup s.com] On Behalf Of Jody W. Ianuzzi Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:36 AM To: zen_fo...@yahoogrou ps.com Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: Frustration with Job and Teenage Child Hello Bill, You wrote: "You can defend yourself, even to the point of violence, while still having compassion for the other party." I DO understand this. It took me a long time to figure out, but as a martial artist for 39 years I DO get it. I think my greatest weakness is not having compassion for someone who deliberately and intentionally victimizes another person. I can't imagine doing harm to another person (except as self defense) and I can't find compassion towards someone who does. An extreme case would be someone who kidnappers, rapes and murders a seven year old girl and then dumps her body in the garbage dump as happened in Florida last fall. How can you feel compassion for someone who does that. To me they are a monster in human form, not a human being who deserves compassion. Animals take better care of their young so you can't even compare him to an animal. JODY __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5279 (20100714) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset. com __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5279 (20100714) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset. com
