"I think that people who murder others may have the capacity for change, but
once they take a life they forfeit the right to that consideration."

I think that people who have the capacity to help others more profoundly by
changing themselves to help remove suffering from the world yet judge those of
even less capacity to there actions forfeited there hearts long ago.  If a
person grew to truly regret a murder to the effect that they truly would never
murder again, just as we sane people know we would never murder is healed.  Any
further punishment is mere revenge. The point of punishment, just like in kids,
is to get them to realize the wrong of what they did so they dont do it again.
There are many convicts who stopped being those people long ago, who suffer
life for a mistake and worse suffer the views of others who think they deserve
it.  There are also many convicts who are not changed, but they can all be
changed with effeort because nothing is real and everything is changable.