Artie,

Crystal!

...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of roloro1557
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:22 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Other traditions

I agree with Bill on this very much. When people ask me I tell them I am a
zennist (some of the old Chinese masters used this word), not a buddhist. I
think zen definitely is not a sub-set or in any way dependent on buddhism. I
also agree with Thomas Cleary, as he said in one of his translations: That
zen requires awareness alone, does not depend on a particular background in
any form of Asian culture, that zen applies directly to the relationship
between mind and culture itself, no matter what that culture may be, and
therefore it relates immediately to the way in which the world is
experienced and life is lived, wherever one may be.

While I respect other people's choices deeply- religion, "spiritual
movements', etc do not interest me in the least- to me they grossly
over-complicate what is actually a very simple matter. To me, while
mysticism can be very pretty, it's really just another layer of concepts and
judgements that will have to be dropped later - so why pick it up in the
first place? I hope I'm being clear and making sense :-)

Artie

> As I said in an earlier post, I don't consider zen a sub-set or
exclusively dependent upon Buddhism.

database 5451 (20100914) __________

database 5451 (20100914) __________