Just a second thought, if you take a look at the function of the Esoteric and
Exoteric within Religions and Traditions you will see who is doing the talking.
 For the most part it is the function of a Tradition, let's say Native
American, to protect itself from outside syncretic influences.  On the other
hand within the inner work, the inner temple, the function of the Esoteric is
part of the 'transcendent unity of religions'.  So, I think it is natural to
protect beliefs, ways, dogma, law, history, and also natural to express a
unity.

That is why for most Religion only leads to the Exoteric, not the Esoteric . .
. the occult, hidden, inner, etc . . .

Most of the conversation on these posting boards,.yahoo groups take place in
the realm of the Exoteric, most of the finger wagging about what Zen is or is
not is under the heading of Exoteric.  Once you realize the function, you
soften, move inner, let the protectors circle the wagons . . .

K among the wagon trainees