Hi Audry and Artie,

It's quite a different situation in Australia regarding Aboriginal people. When
the conservative leader John Howard was in power he refused to say  'sorry' to
the indigenous people despite being called upon to do so for a number of years.
His argument was similar to both yours: that he wasn't personally responsible
for the crimes committed by people of a different generation. The Aborigines
point, however, was that policies enacted by a different government still
affects Aborigines today (for example, taking 'half-blood' Aboriginal kids from
their mothers and putting them into foster care or Christian missions - just
because they had white blood in them). Furthermore, people living in Australia
today live on the land that was traditionally Aboriginal land and was taken
without payment. Does kinda make a point that white people living on land taken
from the native people (nearly always by force) do share responsibility with
those people from a different generation. To say, "Sorry" is to recognise that
there is no 'break' from the past (how convenient for whte landowners, eh?) and
that we continue to enjoy what was once somebody elses without due recognition.

Mike

ps Audrey, I used to be in the British infantry and have great respect for the
US Marines (not as good as the Brit Army, but still damn good!)  : )