Jody-

I would ask that you remember what Maria so wisely wrote:

> Things hardly ever are as they appear to be under the eyes of the
> ones who are not from that culture.

What my Native American friends objected to was the commercialization and
commoditization of what they consider some of their most sacred traditions by
greedy, materialistic white people, looking to turn a profit from the greed and
spiritual bankruptcy of other white people. I agree with them most
whole-heartedly. Not everything should be "for sale" no matter what this
capitalist culture says. It is a kind of rape and certainly a theft. It speaks
directly of the sense of entitlement many white Americans have that Kristy
mentioned. It simply disgusts and sickens me.

White people have already stolen their homeland, their language, etc and etc,
and decimated their population. It is nothing less than genocide what European
whites did to Native Americans. All this was of course approved and ordained by
the christian "god" of those European white people, so it was all ok.
Apparently still not satisfied, and under the guise of "cultural sharing" and
"understanding" some whites see nothing wrong with cashing in on Native
American spirituality. My Native American friends simply recognize the reality
of this, I think they see the situation plenty clearly.

I do think cultural sharing is wonderful - IF THE CULTURE IN QUESTION *WANTS*
TO SHARE. Clearly the Native Americans don't want to "share". As these are
THEIR traditions, THEY get to choose. Not white people.

Sorry but I think your post below romanticizes the issue, is very naive, and
completely lacks empathy for Native Americans.

Artie