Mike,

You bring up some important points to which I want to respond:

[Mike] Well, I can't speak for others, but this zen practioner finds such
articles both interesting and helpful.
[Bill!] I can understand that, but interesting and helpful for what?  Certainly
not for your zen practice.

[Mike] Science helps us get down to the 'nuts and bolts' of how and why things
are what they are.
[Bill!] Science is just another worldview, and it's viewpoint is no more valid
than any other worldview.  It does help you create concepts of WHY and WHAT
things are, but all these are illusions.  The 'nuts and bolts' are fantasy
(concepts) but very important for science because science focuses on
deconstruction.  It is based on believing nothing exists as a whole in and of
itself, but everything is just a compilation of other things.

[Mike] I'm not completely *all* for the jettisoning of the more
traditional/arcane side of Zen and meditation (I also like the gongs and
incense etc), but an understanding of what physically/mentally happens to us as
a result of meditation weakens the grip of the supernatural/esoteric aspects
sometimes afforded to Zen/zen.
[Bill!] I am for jettisoning ALL the traditional/arcane side of zen, and all
the other unnecessary layering that serve only to further obscure Buddha
Nature.  These unnecessary layers include supernatural/esoteric layers, AND
scientific explanations.  There is no difference.  Layers are layers.  Some are
just more fashionable at certain times and in certain circles than others.

[Mike] If we think, and appreciate, that science has helped us debunk most
religious dogma and superstition, then I find it hypocritical to not turn the
light of science on zen.
[Bill!] Science has merely replaced religious dogma and superstition.  You seem
to have the idea that science shows us ultimate 'truth' rather than just being
another perspective on truth (reality) based on what we perceive to be
probabilities.  Logic is not truth.  Rationality is not truth.  Buddha Nature
is truth because it is pure experience.

[Mike]Or perhaps we'd secretly like to keep zen "cool and mysterious"... ; )
[Bill!] Zen might be thought of as 'cool', but it's certainly not at all
mysterious - and you know that as well as I do.