Bill,

What's the Zen Forum about?

Thanks, ED

Ed,

The one constant theme that runs through your comments below is that
`prior
to kensho (glimpsing Buddha Nature) it is okay to engage in intellectual
activities that you think help you understand zen'.

Zen is not something you can understand. You can form concepts and
opinions
about zen, but they are not zen. Any attempt to understand zen at best
will be unhelpful, and at worst will be misleading and detrimental.

A few posts ago I posted comments that I labeled as `logical'
and
`alogical'. The `alogical' comment was actually not
presented alogically.
It was a logical presentation of the concept of something alogical.
Since
it's relevant here, and since I'd also like to correct that
error on my
part, I now present an alogical response to your comments post below. It
can also be directed at Mike's recent comments on the same subject. It
is a
paraphrasing of a story of an excellent alogical response given by an
historical zen master:

Ed approached Joshu in all earnestness, "I want to practice zen.
I've read
many books on zen, meditation and consciousness. I keep up-to-date on
all
the latest discoveries in the realm of physiology and psychology that
relates to zen. Please give me instructions."

Joshu asked, "Have you eaten your lunch yet?"

Ed replied, "Yes I have. I just got up from the table, and I know
from my
studies that when I eat my body redirects a large portion of my blood to
my
digestive system and that results in decreased ability to concentrate,
so I
probably shouldn't sit zazen right now. What do you recommend?"

Joshu replied, "Wash your dishes."

…adapted from JOSHU'S"WASH YOUR BOWLS", Case 7 – THE
GATELESS GATE

…Bill!