Definitions of compassion on the Web:
    * a deep awareness of and sympathy for another's suffering     * the
humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to
do something about it
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%\
3Fs%3Dcompassion&sa=X&ei=3irPTMOQG4i8sQPnsqHtAQ&ved=0CBIQpAMoAA&usg=AFQj\
CNEtCiasvnqTn6kEWOE04V6d_ZyqcQ>

    * Compassion is a human emotion prompted by the pain of others. More
vigorous than empathy, the feeling commonly gives rise to an active
desire to alleviate another's suffering. It is often, though not
inevitably, the key component in what manifests in the social context as
altruism. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion&sa=\
X&ei=3irPTMOQG4i8sQPnsqHtAQ&ved=0CBMQpAMoAQ&usg=AFQjCNG0uXlFEP3-UbSolbCv\
Z8ua3mqkzQ>

    * compassionate - feel for: share the suffering of     *
compassionate - showing or having compassion; "heard the soft and
compassionate voices of women"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%\
3Fs%3Dcompassionate&sa=X&ei=3irPTMOQG4i8sQPnsqHtAQ&ved=0CBUQpAMoAw&usg=A\
FQjCNGR7UTq9fbGijHAQZiTB2HhvHrfnw>

    * is the desire to identify with or sense something of another's
experience; a precursor of caring. [30]
www.wcpt.org/node/29562
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.wcpt.org/node/29562&sa=X&ei=3irP\
TMOQG4i8sQPnsqHtAQ&ved=0CBYQpAMoBA&usg=AFQjCNHMqcsd0QIreyOhabEBgC1w4pZv6\

o   Understanding without judgment.
timolehtinen.com/articles/psyche-glossary/
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://timolehtinen.com/articles/psyche-glo\
ssary/&sa=X&ei=3irPTMOQG4i8sQPnsqHtAQ&ved=0CBkQpAMoBw&usg=AFQjCNG83-BUGp\
CbynJdjZHJRnR5y9H2Pw>

Chris,

Which 'compassion' are you, Bill and St. Augustine referring to?

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, ChrisAustinLane <ch...@...> wrote:

You ask questions but do not answer.

Compassion is not something to understand. Bill shows us compassion in
his
emailing.

Compassion does not have a beginning nor an end. Compassion is not a
thing to
understand, compassion is what is left when we act without adding
ourselves into
the act.

I hope that response to your questions is useful.

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone

On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:14, "ED" <seacrofter...@...
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=GhWbzQud3n8Y7eLrQ5DCJhA8By1dIoAuFgGscAFiff\
8qe_xb93PlOCVs4I-H8Tq4eOzCse06rbkyJwd829oZmQ> > wrote:

> Chris,
>
> First,
>
> What do you understand by compassion? What does Bill understand by
> compassion?
>
> What did/do St. Augustine then or Christians today mean bycompassion?
>
> In Buddhism, what is compassion? Does zazen give rise to compassion?
>
> Depending on your definition of compassion, how does it benefit
> humanity?
>
> --ED
>

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=inyvZcqoeaxHnnd3TwsUC_kIhvaSaYEbC3saK318rQ\
GjigAkNzgtY7m7xtFpf4zH3E1s3CfamUO1Cu7YMZf9jaU> , ChrisAustinLane