From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 2 November, 2010, 2:19

Ed, Ed, Ed…

I posted a quote attributed to St. Thomas Aquinas:

"I would rather feel compassion than know the meaning of it."

You then asked:

[Ed] Wherein do you perceive any intelligence or wisdom in St.
Augustine's preference?
[Bill!] I don't perceive any intelligence in St. Aquinas' statement above.
I do however perceive a lot of wisdom. I perceive the wisdom in his stated
preference for experience over knowledge.

[Ed] What does St. Augustine mean by 'compassion'?
[Bill!] I don't know and I don't care. The meaning of compassion is not
important in the quote, in fact the quote itself says that. You can
substitute any word you want for 'compassion' in his quote and the wisdom
will still be there.

[Ed] What do you understand 'compassion' to be?
[Bill!] I understand 'compassion' to mean 'to be aware of the feelings of
others'. Merriam-Webster Online defines it as "sympathetic consciousness of
others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it". That definition
satisfies me. An example would be:

I feel compassion towards you for reading that quote and then asking those
three questions.

database 5583 (20101101) __________