Anthony,

Your statement below reveals your wisdom.;)  You asked me in another post where
I am headed in Asia?  We are going to Japan.  Its primarily  business, and as
I  mentioned last fall, I'd love to go there in the spring-time!

I tacked that reply onto this one, as I was  thinking about Dave's
question. Personally, I think it can be helpful.  I started a similar practice
just a couple of years after my accident, (in conjunction with a yoga
practice).  Certainly worth a try.

Part of what I will be doing in Japan is to follow-up with  cancer patients who
are involved in a clinical trial on pain management.  My role there will be to
provide mindful awareness  techniques that patients can use to reduce their
discomfort resulting from  chemo,   and the disease process itself.  Well-- to
be clearer-- they are enrolled in a program wherein they receive a drug therapy
to mediate pain.  Mindful /contemplative practice is being used
to determine if-- and to what degree, the strength and frequency of the drug
can be reduced, thereby minimizing other side effects of their respective
cancer treatment.  Clearly, they have fears, so its certainly possible that
'fear" management is part of that as well.

Well-- I am off  for a couple of weeks, but best wishes to Dave and all.  I do
hope to visit at least one zen event, and see some temples.

*bows*

Kristy