From: Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2011 12:02 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Cc: zenliv...@yahoogroups.com ; chan-socal-engl...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Mindfulness pt 2

Happy New Year Ed,

Propose another word in place of "mindfulness" is a very challenging task.  Let
me explain.

In the practice and dealing with everyday life, we say "Be aware but not
attached to", "focus but not focusing", "observe but not observing", are some
of the terms we use while we translate from our Chinese text to English.  In
other words, "sync to the universal wisdom at every moment, and not be attached
to the meaning of the phenomena."  is the phrase we need to represent with a
single word.

The most common general terms as a verb in the practice, we use are "be aware",
 "sense", "feel", etc. i.e. "sense our breathing", "feel the chakra".   They
are usually terms applying also to emotions, feelings as well as our general
overall well being, physical and spiritual.  We can not separate our "true
feeling" from our body or mind.

We are very careful not to consistently use the same word.  Especially the
practice to "notice" the conditions of our body, mind and spirit, could require
different verb for a similar function.  Chan teaching requires flexibility.

The purpose of Chan wordings are nothing but to wake up the practitioner, and
not to set a path or a rule to follow.  After 5,000 words, Diamond Sutra said
only one thing, "Whatever you think it is, it is not.  It just is."

Perhaps a  lot of times, I am guilty in becoming lazy and just say, "Shut up,
Sit down and Stop thinking."
LOL.

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org